Theme brainstorm

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Sun Jun 3 14:14:49 PDT 2001

At 03:25 PM 6/3/01 -0400, Sharon wrote:
>I also worry about the OS seeming boring and artificial and yet I couldn't
>do an
>OS training without an OS as a majoy key component.  I don't think I really
>"got" OS until I had facilitated a real one and yet I am trying to help others
>"get" OS in an artificial OS.  It just seems like such a bind - kind of like
>explaining colour to a blind man.  If our OS training is sufficient to
>interest
>the participants in trying an OS and we give them some quidance to help make
>their OS's successful I will be happy.  The real learning will only occur
>when/if these people try out OS for themselves.  We are hoping that our
>one day
>training is just the start of the learning journey in OS.

Sharon -- I believe you are right on all counts -- and there is no happy
answer. I find, however, that honesty is the best policy. In short, tell
them up front what they will find out soon enough anyhow. OS runs on
passion and responsibility, and if you ain't got the passion, you will
never take the responsibility -- and the whole thing is rather a drag. To
say the least. But you can learn from all of that; And people do. One thing
I have done with success (I think) is to start a training program with the
USWEST video so that the folks can at least get a feel for what it could be
like -- and then further down the road do an Open Space on Open Space.
Remember that questions without conclusions (answers) are just the sort of
thing that spice up dull training...

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive