storytelling

Glory Ressler on.the.edge at sympatico.ca
Tue Jul 31 14:36:47 PDT 2001

Dear all
I just couldn't miss the opportunity to talk about story.... thanks to
Birgitt for a prompt and a mention!!  I'll be opening and holding space
for you, Birgitt, Ward, et. al. on September 21st and beyond!!!

Raffi wrote
>1. What are different forms of storytelling, i.e. storytelling
technologies to use before an OS? Can you describe them to me or point
to online (preferably) or print resources?<
Raffi - there is the classic storytelling circle that Birgitt utilizes.
In my opinion and experience, this is the best way to go if you do not
have an ongoing relationship with the organization you're opening space
for.
If, however, you do have an ongoing relationship - story can be utilized
to conduct an environmental scan, visually chart the inception/major
milestones/current position/future possibilities of an organization,
seminars can de designed around stories that facilitate org learning re:
communication, conflict resolution, diversity, etc...  There are many
other applications...
I encourage you to check out our website ( www.edgeofavalon.com ) which
has several articles in the Library on using story in coaching,
consulting, and facilitating and has loads of stories to share!

As Birgitt posits - stories assist us in engaging the whole person
(cognition, emotion, and spirit - meaning making) and loosens rigid
perceptions and interpretations.  It breaks down barriers between staff
and management and increases personal empowerment (we are the creators
of our own life and work stories!).  Stories increase our tolerance and
understanding of multiple perspectives on the same 'facts' thereby
assisting with conflict resolution and appreciation for diversity.
Story circles also equalize individuals and tap into the reaches of our
hidden wisdom.

Harrison points out in his latest book how stories (myths) are to
culture what DNA is to organisms.  So much can be done to determine what
the ACTUAL organizational culture is by collecting and examining the
predominant stories and comparing these with the stated
mission/vision/values and leadership stories.  The gap is where work
needs to be done....  Of course, this sort of work is predicated on
having management that is truly willing to tap into the wisdom of its
staff and let go of control...

I could go on and on and I won't at this point...

To all interested... our next e-zine, due out mid-August, will be on
stories for inspiring passion and responsibility and will highlight an
article on OST and Storytelling - email me if you'd like to receive it!

Must go now - blessings to all!!
glory ressler