refugee organization advice

Raffi Aftandelian brynza at online.ru
Sun Jul 22 06:28:13 PDT 2001

Dear friends,

I am going to meet this Monday with the director of a Moscow
organization, a consortium of 200+ refugee organizations from all over
Russia to discuss the possibility of offering OS, and I seek some
support.

The story:
This organization has relied almost entirely on UN High Commission for
Refugees funding for much of its existence. The UNHCR has suddenly
decided that (surprise!) that refugee organizations in Russia (and
specifically in the North Caucasus, i.e. Ingushetia) are now ready to be
self-sufficient and that as a result UNHCR will be closing shop and will
pull out of the Caucasus. This means of course that funding will
suddenly drop drastically.

In speaking very briefly with the director thus far this has meant that
very talented people in the organization are starting to leave because
in the absence of funding they see no future for themselves in the
organization. This also means that consortium members are in a panic.

Have there been successful OS's in such circumstances? Might you be able
to point me to some concrete examples?

What words of caution and advice might you have for me in going in?

thanks much,
ding!
Raffi Aftandelian