storytelling

Birgitt Williams birgitt at mindspring.com
Tue Jul 31 07:49:32 PDT 2001

Raffi,
a good source to look at in terms of understanding the healing power of
stories and story telling is Angeles Arrien's work documented in The Four
Fold Way (and if you ever get the chance to treat yourself to one of her
workshops, I highly recommend it). Stories are a healing balm in all
cultures, amongst all peoples, from the beginning of recorded time. I always
find it amusing when something of ancient wisdom is seen as "new age" as an
attempt to dismiss its power.

As for the grief cycle, stories assist to do the work of memories. Harrison
has done a wonderful job of highlighting this in all of his books. However,
please remember that no one can be forced through the cycle of doing
griefwork, which is a healing cycle and part of the cycle of transformative
change. We can simply provide opportunities, such as storytelling times, for
people to do their work of memories at their own pace, should they choose to
do so. Being in shock/anger requires being listened to, understood, and
accepted unconditionally if there is to be any movement forward. Space for
storytelling is valuable. Time is needed. There can be no rushing of this
healing work. One evening before an OST meeting is definitely not enough.

I cannot access my database at the moment, but I hope Glory Ressler will pop
in here and invite you to look at her website and the work she is doing with
story. I believe there are a number of people on this list whose primary
work passion is story and they devote much learning to the art and healing
power of stories. I hope they will share their learnings.

Blessings,
Birgitt