refugee organization advice

Michael M Pannwitz mmpanne at snafu.de
Sat Jul 28 05:10:19 PDT 2001

Dear Raffi,
perhaps your meeting has already been.
Regardless, the situation you describe is perfect for open space.
You got a complex issue, high conflict, decision time yesterday...
the question that needs some work on is who needs to be there other
than the directly affected players (diversity) to address the issues
at hand with the whole system in the room.
And this sounds very much like a task that requires the full 2.5
days.
greetings from inbetween swims in the baltic sea
michael

On Sun, 22 Jul 2001 17:28:13 +0400, Raffi Aftandelian wrote:

>Dear friends,
>
>I am going to meet this Monday with the director of a Moscow
>organization, a consortium of 200+ refugee organizations from all over
>Russia to discuss the possibility of offering OS, and I seek some
>support.
>
>The story:
>This organization has relied almost entirely on UN High Commission for
>Refugees funding for much of its existence. The UNHCR has suddenly
>decided that (surprise!) that refugee organizations in Russia (and
>specifically in the North Caucasus, i.e. Ingushetia) are now ready to be
>self-sufficient and that as a result UNHCR will be closing shop and will
>pull out of the Caucasus. This means of course that funding will
>suddenly drop drastically.
>
>In speaking very briefly with the director thus far this has meant that
>very talented people in the organization are starting to leave because
>in the absence of funding they see no future for themselves in the
>organization. This also means that consortium members are in a panic.
>
>Have there been successful OS's in such circumstances? Might you be able
>to point me to some concrete examples?
>
>What words of caution and advice might you have for me in going in?
>
>thanks much,
>ding!
>Raffi Aftandelian
>
>*
>*
>Visit:

Michael M Pannwitz
Draisweg 1
12209 Berlin, Germany
FON +49 - 30-772 8000     FAX +49 - 30-773 92 464
www.michaelMpannwitz.de

To subscribe to the oslist, send the following message (and nothing but the message):
"SUBSCRIBE OSLIST" to listserv at listserv.boisestate.edu
SUBJECT field should be left BLANK