facilitating metanoia? (formerly"Part three OST with children and families")

David C. Rupley, Jr., MD(H) dcrupley at bigplanet.com
Mon Jan 29 22:32:35 PST 2001

facilitating metanoia? (formerly "Part three OST with children and
families")A few thoughts . . .
  Laurel, thank you for your addition to this wonderful discussion.  The
firewalking story is a great example of how instantaneous and comprehensive
these metanoias can be.

  Laurel, Great story and an example of what I hope to communicate.

  I have a different view than what you express about whether these
metanoias can be facilitated, and also about our ability to share knowledge
and skills toward this end.  It may simply be an issue of terminology.  Let
me respond to your words.

  > I don't think that this CAN be facilitated.  I think that the impetus
for
  > the change must come from within...

  I agree that the impetus must come from within, but I believe that these
transformations not only CAN be facilitated, but MUST be facilitated, by
someone.  I use facilitate here in the sense of setting the conditions.  I
suspect that, for your friend, someone opened the space with great care and
intention for his firewalking to be a possible choice.

  I agree with Chris and the trouble may be "facilitate" - to move to
different words - does a healer do any healing.  None that I respect would
say they do.  Never the less, we speak of healing as a act done to someone.
The someone actually does the healing.  The healer only identifies blocks to
healing and assists with their removal.  So with facilitators and
individuals and groups seeking transformation.  This is just as true in
spiritual practice - e.g. mediating is easier for beginners in a group.

  Great thread.  Hope this contributes.

  Dave
  Spirited Growth
  "Man's inner nature is identical to the nature of the universe, and thus
man learns about his own nature from nature herself."
  from Rolling Thunder by Doug Boyd