For Artur et al re the "North American" touch

Artur F. Silva artsilva at mail.eunet.pt
Mon Jan 15 17:25:55 PST 2001

At 14:55 15-01-2001 -0800, Chris Corrigan wrote:
>"Artur F. Silva" wrote:
>
> > For a movement to be "world-wide" it is not enough, IMHO, that events
> > are organised in many places. It is also needed that different experiences
> > are reported to a common forum and discussed there, with reference
> > to pertinent theory.
> >

>We've had this discussion before...is Open Space a "movement"?  I personally
>don't think so.  I don't use it as part of a movement either....

Chris; I am not sure it we are using the word "movement" with the same
meaning, ou if our "cultural differences" conduct us to refer to differents
things by the same word.

It seams to me that you are thinking of a "social movement" and I was
thinking about an epistemological one - like wend one speaks about (as
an example) "Piaget construtivism movement."

In this perspective OS is a movement: some practicioners that are using
the concepts and analysing them by way of theory, and those ideas are
enlarging as in any other artistic, cultural or phylosophical movement.

My poin was only that. But you continued.

>Anyway, I'm somewhat ambivalent about the topic, but felt moved to describe
>where I stand.

And I think that I can understand at least a part of your ambivalance.
The link that you sent me yestarday showed me that the "Wondertree
Foundation ... is to become an organization that is known world-wide for
its support of children to learn naturally".  And also your sustaineble
eco-village is trying to relate with other similar communities world-wide.
So they try to become movements and have an influence on social
organization of the world.

I thing you would agree that your atitude with children is OPEN
(and much more important as love and respect are values you reffer to,
and OST rules ARE NOT), and with ecology is caring. Both
aspects can be related to the use and impact of OST in many others
manamegemt thinking "movements".

Apart from that, it is accepted that there is a "learning organization
mouvement", not very effective because they are more teaching
"disciplines", than concerned to discover methods for creting those LOs.
Suppose that OST is the (or one of the) method/s to allow for that.
Than OS would be also included in a much broader movement to change
business management, namely LO movement. So even in this broader
sense it is natural that we all have doubdts and ambivalance.

Regards

Artur