For Artur et al re the "North American" touch

Chris Corrigan corcom at interchange.ubc.ca
Mon Jan 15 14:55:29 PST 2001

"Artur F. Silva" wrote:

> For a movement to be "world-wide" it is not enough, IMHO, that events
> are organised in many places. It is also needed that different experiences
> are reported to a common forum and discussed there, with reference
> to pertinent theory.

We've had this discussion before...is Open Space a "movement"?  I personally
don't think so.  I don't use it as part of a movement either....so I don't
feel it is especially necessary to have OST do one thing or another or be used
here there and everywhere to meet any conditions of a "world-wide movement."
For me, it is the most effective group meeting process ever invented, with
lots of personal, social and political implications to be sure, but I don't
feel like I'm part of an "Open Space movement" (towards....?).  I'm just a
facilitator, using a tricky, yet effective process, who joined the list
because he needed folks to bounce ideas off of.

My feelings about this list is that it is a resource for OST facilitators, no
matter where they are to share stories, questions, support and ideas around
the application of the process.  If others choose to see OST as a movement, so
be it, but I don't think that's what it started off being (correct me if I'm
wrong), and I'm certainly not interested in promoting it as such.  It doesn't
matter to me whether the process is being used in "X" number of countries or
cultures, it works fine with my clients, and although it's nice to know that
it has applicability everywhere from the downtown eastside of Vancouver to the
Siberian steppes, to the headquarters of the Bank of Montreal, that isn't what
impresses me about OST at all.  Others will stumble across the process in
various places and use it to varying degrees, and spirits will be tapped and
leadership emerged.  Just like what happened to me.

Anyway, I'm somewhat ambivalent about the topic, but felt moved to describe
where I stand.

All the best from a beautiful sunny Vancouver,

Chris

--
CHRIS CORRIGAN
Consultation - Facilitation