shoemakers

Ingrid Olausson ingrid.olausson at telia.com
Sun Jan 14 07:03:47 PST 2001

Rachel wrote:
".  When I was in Sweden taking the OS trainings there was a one day Open Space meeting with the theme being something about an exploration of what Open Space really is.  One of the topics that went up was about whether or not the name Open Space was too "American".  I was astounded to learn that when referring to Open Space in Swedish, they were still saying Open Space in English.  It never occurred to me that if the discussion was happening in another language that the words Open Space wouldn't be translated into that language."

Dear Rachel. Welcome to the list! I really like your jumping in!
Your question after your Swedish experience is important. This is what I have been working with a lot. I think it is necessary for every country and language to have their own genuine vocabulary for Open Space, the principles and all the other expressions. They are rarely impossible to translate. But you have to make the extra effort. I use the words "Öppet Forum" in Swedish. It is equivalent to the french words "Forum Ouvert". I think this works OK, even though some swedes remark that other events have called themselves "Öppet Forum". So what! If we make it our trade mark more people will know what it is about.
Ingrid Olausson