story: learning circles OST (long)

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Mon Feb 19 08:31:15 PST 2001

At 02:03 AM 2/18/01 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi OSLIST,
>
>Another story to share, about a somewhat unusual OST event.
>
>In sharing this story, I invite feedback - in general (as always), but
>also in a few specific areas:
>    * First...well, I guess I have to admit it...I facilitated a hybrid
> event!  (does my radar pick up virtual incoming rotten tomatoes?)  I'll
> explain how and why below, and I'd love to hear from others: was this a
> good or a bad idea?
>    * Second:  Fewer topics were posted than either I or the sponsor
> expected.  How come?
>    * Third:  Are there special considerations for an event around a
> "learning for learning's sake" type of theme?
>    * Fourth:  How might one do reports for a "learning for learning's
> sake" type of theme?
>    * and Fifth:  Do other facilitators feel it is sometimes appropriate
> to participate in discussion groups?  If so, under what circumstances is
> this okay?
Sounds like you had a good time, as did the folks. I guess my question in
this case (as in most such cases) would be -- what would have happened in
the absence of prescribing group behaviors? My guess is that everything
would have proceeded as usual. Hence an additional question -- "Why the
lay-on? Did it really do any good, add something? You were there, I wasn't
-- so I don't know. But in every other similar situation (folks tried
Dialogue, Appreciative Inquiry as an integral part of the OS) -- at best
the participants wondered why they were taking the side trips. At worst
they got down right rebellious. My sense is that somehow the space gets
closed -- more or less. Following the old dictum from the great state of
Maine -- Don't fix it, if it ain't broke."  Or something.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, MD 20854 USA