story: learning circles OST (long)

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Mon Feb 19 20:55:54 PST 2001

Harrison's comments remind me of a long-ago meeting, a planning meeting for
maybe the third annual Mason County Idea Fair--an event which was not Open
Space (it was before even the first Open Space).  It was a
somewhat-more-structured event designed to let people from different
community systems talk with each other, and we gathered a few notes about
expressed priorities and needs to feed back into the systems.

The purpose was to get a lot more people participating in community decision
making.  And at one point in the planning process, the organizers looked at
each other and realized that people were prepared to take a lot more
responsibility than we were prepared to offer them.  A wonderful learning
moment--and one which simplified our plans considerably.  The need to make
sure everything goes right dies hard, at least in me!

Joelle