Artur F. Silva artsilva at mail.eunet.pt
Wed Feb 14 07:58:29 PST 2001

Dear Gyuri:

At 04:49 14-02-2001 -0700, György Beck wrote:

>I did read (and partly reread) the book you mention and enjoyed it.
>Harrison, I feel honoured to have your answer and would like to clarify,
>if "that name can be a problem" is concerning the "Open Space" or the
>translation?

I think the names "Open Space" and "Open Space Technologie" are
in current use and well understood in English.

The problems I felt when translating them to "continental european"
namely Portuguese where two:

- first in latin languages "techology" as a much less broader sense
that in English;

- second "Open Space" (without the Technology) can be said about
any space that is open (comercial, open air, etc).

So in the Portuguese translation I have adopted the (portuguese equivalent
to) "Meeting Methodology in Open Space (Open Space Technology)".

In the Fench translation I have used the canadian name that adds
"Forum" to Open Space instead of technologie.

I don't know hungarian but hope this can help in your "translation"

Regards

Artur

PS: I think that when Elwin suggested to you not to use the name
OS or OST up front, he was thinking about his experience of selling
the idea to the main contractor of development projects in the
balkans. From talks I had with him in berlin, I think he was not
suggesting that you change the name - only to begin presenting
it as one way to help devellopment by the best "large group conference
facilitating method" you know (that, by the way is OST). [I hope
I am not interpreting you wrongly, Elwin...]

2.  Sign in and Proceed