talking circle/racial issues

Chris Corrigan corcom at interchange.ubc.ca
Thu Feb 8 16:33:59 PST 2001

Similar to Kerry's experience, I did an Open Space Technology event for
local government leaders and local First Nations leadership here in
Vancouver last fall.  It was thought by many that the hot topics would
be things like working on jurisdicational issues and service delivery,
but in fact the participants ended up talking about fundamentally
foundational issues regarding personal relationships.  Several people in
the closing remarked on how they were now seeing others in a different
light (re-spect, to steal some etymology from Birgitt).  What in fact
seemed to be happening was that people began seeing beyond trappings of
power and race to the essential human core of every other participant.

This isn't to say that there wasn't conflict; there was and some of it
was uncomfortably race based.  But I think that the way in which it was
handled by the group spoke a lot about people's capacity to solve these
problems on a person to person scale.  The conflict also had the
beneficial side effect of giving voice to undercurrents so that these
dynamics could be recognized, discussed and wrestled with.  And I think
that people began to appreciate that racial tension (and other forms of
overt and covert conflict) are not black and white issues (so to speak)
but rather rooted in, and layered with, complexity.

When the Dead Moose gets put on the table, people at once recognize both
the source of the smell and the fact that there is a winter's worth of
food staring them in the face.

Chris

--
CHRIS CORRIGAN