talking circle/racial issues

kerry napuk k at napuk.demon.co.uk
Thu Feb 8 03:35:28 PST 2001

Barbera Sliter

We used open space for an event on racism and the police in Glasgow.
When people in minorities and police from different ranks meet, they
do begin to listen to each other and learn.  So, we had a closing
ceremony with police saying things like "I thought we had cracked
this problem, now I realise we have a long way to go,"  "I learned a
lot today" and someone from the minorities saying "I want to thank
the police for being so honest."  The biggrest breakthrough was with
young people who had a willing audience to hear their views.  Get the
sides together, let them start talking and close with the talking
stick passed to everyone.

Good luck.

Kerry Napuk
Open Futures Ltd