talking circle/racial issues

Richard Norris rnorris at digital.net
Fri Feb 9 11:39:37 PST 2001

Jan,

I too have used the video "The Color of Fear".  It is a powerful venue for discussion.  The last group I used it with was for 22  U.S. Marine Corps Generals (newly promoted to General) as a part of their Executive Indoctrination program.  The group immediately "closed ranks" while in public (the indoc formal setting).  But I noticed when on breaks they were discussing the in smaller groups.  I decided to put them on a permanent break for the duration of the session for discussions in groups of their own choosing.  At the end of the day they  "hotwashed"  (a marine term for a closing circle).  The depth of their awareness was stunning.  Bear in mind this occurred before I was introduced to OST or talking circles.  Had I been Open Space connected I would have started that way in the first place as it was kind of where we ended up anyways.

Rich Norris
U.S. Navy (Retired)