Experience with geeks in OST forums

J. Paul Everett JPESeeker at aol.com
Sun Dec 16 22:04:21 PST 2001

In a message dated 12/16/01 5:12:44 PM, alan.stewart at senet.com.au writes:

<<

This request stems from an approach to me from a person commissioned to
promote better communication among

IT people in a large corporation and their customers.

Anyone have experience in working with "geeks/nerds" ie the technical people
who create

software and the hardware that runs it - on issues that cannot be addressed
through engineering

brainpower? And stories of where this happened?  >>

Alan,

Well, a good first step would be to eliminate deprecating names.  Although
generally "accepted" as being supposedly descriptive, they hurt at soul
level, imho.  And I hardly know how to use email, much less write computer
programs.  But, in highschool, I was a "brain", and that wasn't said kindly.
So, the old saw about sticks and stones and names is simply wrong.  Names
wound at levels that sticks and stones can never reach.  Just one idea about
how to start out improving communications.

Paul Everett