Experience with geeks in OST forums

Bruce Craig bcraig at pdesigns.com
Mon Dec 17 05:51:28 PST 2001

Bruce and I did a 2 day intervention with an IT group - they
supported the mainframes of a large financial institution.
Day one was structured ala RTSC and day two/three was OS and
convergence.  Day two was an unqualified success - and a
perfectly typical OST.

Yes the group predicted that the "quiet, introverted" IT
types would not get engaged and yes management was surprised
at how engaged they got.  Trust the process - it works.

BTW we found that during the structured first day which
everyone thought would work "better" because people were in
small groups the energy level was low - the OS energy was so
high we thought the roof was going to lift off.  In the end
of the 120 people 95 came back for day 3 and 75 volunteered
for action groups.

The topic was not technical - it was related to preparing to
enter a competitive market - some solutions were technical,
many were not.

As a side note we did a max/mix prior to the session to work
on the theme and the technical group got to the heart of the
business issues facing the organization in 3 hours - it took
the management team 3 days to get to the same point.   Just
because folk are technical does not mean they don't have a
full perspective on "real" issues.

Sharon Quarrington