Self-Organization????

Ralph Copleman ralph at earthdreams.net
Mon Dec 10 07:53:06 PST 2001

> In all those methods, except OST, there is an Agenda pre-defined and
> the tasks to do and methods to use in each point are defined by the
> facilitator, which also closelly guides participantes in all the phases
> and procedures. Because of that, those methods are the contrary of
> letting go from the facilitator and empowering the participantes - hence,
> imo, they are the contrary of self-organization....

Well, maybe.

I work with both FS and OS, and offer these thoughts...

1.  To describe what happens in future search as closely guided by the
facilitator misses the point of the design.  Yes, there's a pre-set
structure, but all the conversations that occur in smaller groups are, in my
view, highly self-organized.  As for the large group discussions, they're
directed by the facilitator almost completely, to just about the same extent
as the opening and closing of OS often are.

2.  On another plane, I'm for any method that breaks down the conventional
boundaries and mind-frames, on one hand, and shows people how to cooperate
on the other.  I worry less and less about how what I do conforms to
conceptual principles and more about how well it helps the world transform.
Both OS and FS open the doors I want to help people go through.

--
Ralph Copleman
609-895-1629