Self-Organization????

Artur F. Silva artsilva at mail.eunet.pt
Mon Dec 10 06:47:42 PST 2001

At 11:52 09-12-2001, Michael M Pannwitz wrote:
>Hi there Joelle and Artur,
>what rules?

(...)

> >In a message dated 11/19/01 3:27:51 PM, artsilva at mail.eunet.pt writes:
> >
> ><< The difference between the rules of other methods and the ones of
> >OST is that the former are still too "structured" to allow for Kauffman's
> >conditions of self organization, I think...

Hello Michael:

Speaking for myself, when I wrote that I was comparing OST "rules" with the
"rules" of other "large group intervention methods", namely "Future Search"
and "Real Time Strategic Change".

By "rules" of OST I mean: "the way OST works", or the "foundations of OST",
the circle, breath, theme, bulletin board, market place and the law of two
feet.

By rules of the other methods, I was thinking about the procedures used
as they are described by Jacobs (RTSC), Weisbord and Janoff (FS),
or generally by Bunker and Alban for those and other methods.

In all those methods, except OST, there is an Agenda pre-defined and
the tasks to do and methods to use in each point are defined by the
facilitator, which also closelly guides participantes in all the phases
and procedures. Because of that, those methods are the contrary of
letting go from the facilitator and empowering the participantes - hence,
imo, they are the contrary of self-organization....

Regards

Artur