Story of a recent labor of love...

JIMBO jimbo at wfc.com.tw
Fri Aug 24 00:13:06 PDT 2001

Chris,

I enjoyed reading your description of the event almost as much as I enjoyed the
event itself.

I have experienced more than 25 OS events, and this last weekend in Vacouver was
one of the first times I was not the facilitator.

On Sunday, as I left the Sty-Wet-Tan Great Hall to return to my room, I found
myself walking with a lightness and bounce that I hadn't felt in many moons.
Partly caused by the fact that "grandma" was babysitting for the weekend, and it
was the first time Anita and I had had time to be a young footloose and fancy
free couple for a while...but mostly because I reckon that is how many
participants feel after the first day playing in Open Space.

I have a friend of mine who has recently finished getting licensed as a
masseuse.  In their training, they have to receive one massage for every two
they give.  There is concern that they will either keep giving without
receiving, and burn out...or that they will not have an adequate understanding
of what is happening to the person receiving the massage...all technique, but no
connection grounded in personal experience.

I'm guessing that is a good recommendation for myself too in practice in
OS...make sure that I have more times when I am participating in OS.

So...I honor the bitter sweet longing/satisfaction that you describe in your
note...and thank you for playing your part, in what was for me, much more than
just an enjoyable holiday, or a break from work and fatherhood...but a chance to
connect physically, spiritually, emotionally, and intellectually with a tribe of
kindred spirits...

With respect,

bo