open space-wedding

Michael M Pannwitz mmpanne at snafu.de
Sat Aug 18 10:50:03 PDT 2001

Dear Friends in far away Vancouver: greetings from Berlin.
While you are at OSonOS IX  Agnes and I are facilitating the open
space-wedding of Bettina and Ali in the union retreat center where
OSonOS IIIV took place last year.
Yesterday afternoon guests arrived for extensive hallos and Persian
barbecue and music...the os started this morning at 11 am and is
presently in full swing.
The 100 odd  guests (people keep coming and going) amongst them many
children and youth (one of the 3-year olds walked the circle with us
as we passed through the phase of "focusing the group") and people
from all over the world came up with 23
"issues", here a sampler:
-I want to produce a short film while here (two 11 year olds are now
busy interviewing people)
-a discussion on love and marriage (a larger group of some 20 guests
in intensive interchange)
-facepainting and making fotos of the products (all kinds of animals
and creatures running through the center)
-a walk in the forest
-creating a fresh fruit bowl with wine and champagne for the evening
party (its already been created and just awaiting the final touch of
champagne later in the evening)
-a meeting of all women guests and parallel
-a meeting of all male guests
-a meeting of both groups for a ritual of public witness for bride
and
groom (be ready to be surprised a member of the planning group for
this event just told me)
-singing songs
-getting the rooms decorated for the big party tonite
-mouthings of Martin Luther, who was a pretty direct and straight
fellow, on love and marriage
-Reiki blessings
-spontaneous theater

well, you get the gist.
What turns out to have been very helpful was the planning os that was
conducted on June 30 - also at the union site - with 12 participants
and the hired staff
(a couple of other pannwitzes and friends). This helped a
great deal with the logistics and preparation for the various
"givens" (housing, travel, catering, music, decoration...practically
everything selforganized).
Now we just had the marvellously executed ceremony of the men giving
away the groom and the  the bride giving away herself with much
joyous clapping and kissing and hugging and tears and intoning the
elements of earth, air, water and fire. It was brought to a close by
everyone singing "Travellin a day/travelling a year/travelling a
lifetime/to find my way home/home is where my heart is/my heart is
with you"  with a guest playing the tune on a clarinette while
walking the inner circle in the earth mode.

While I was witnessing the ceremony I kept remembering all the good
wishes that Father Brian, Harrison Owen, Robert Chaffee, Alan Stewart
and a number of others who had been part in open space-weddings had
sent over the last months giving witness to our communal ties
spanning the oceans and continents. Ali and Bettina are sending
special thanks to all of you whose thoughts of encouragement
supported them in holding their wedding in this mode.

This open space is being documented in the form of an album (various
boxes, folders and envelopes filled with photos, paintings,
documents, videos, tapes, etc.) which will be presented to the couple
in the traditional closing circle tomorrow morning where my canadian
oak talking stick I was presented at the OSonOS in Toronto will round
the circle.

For us, Agnes and Michael, this was another very special event in our
relationship as colleagues and friends spanning three decades of
learning and professional adventures.

I know you are having a grand time in Vancouver
michael and agnes

Michael M Pannwitz
Draisweg 1
12209 Berlin, Germany
FON +49 - 30-772 8000     FAX +49 - 30-773 92 464
www.michaelMpannwitz.de

To subscribe to the oslist, send the following message (and nothing but the message):
"SUBSCRIBE OSLIST" to listserv at listserv.boisestate.edu
SUBJECT field should be left BLANK