Open Space and Leadership in German and Spanish

Elwin and Joan elwinandjoan at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 29 16:05:25 PDT 2001

Most of my many OST assignments have been in the
Balkans.  Facilitating OST in this case requires
"someone to be my voice."

I absolutely require the "client" to hire a host
country interpreter that seems to understand
American "Street English."

Further, I demand that the two of us have two days
together, leading to the OST, to just "hang out!"

During this time (spent 50/50 in Cafes and the OST
site) we "dance" through the OST Opening.

We also play like children in drawing the Two Feet
and putting the Four Principles on poster paper etc.

The over riding comment from participants regarding
the facilitation is "it appeared as though you and
the interpreter were a couple in the Olympic Figure
Skating competition...dancing like each other's
shadow!"

The fact is, in those two days the interpreter
develops
a "feeling and passion" for OST and the words spoken
in whatever language are in a "real" sense those I
spoke!

All of this is to support my belief that translation
of Harrison's perfect phrases and critical nuances
is essential to a meaningful presentation in another
language. That I suggest can only be done by someone
who has "been there!!"

Elwin Guild
Baltimore

http://auctions.yahoo.com/