stories that work

Michael Herman mherman at globalchicago.net
Thu Apr 26 14:26:39 PDT 2001

hello all,

thanks to everyone who emailed me about the grandma story i posted last
week.  based on the response, i've sent the following letter to my
entire list, in a sort of very wide open spacious,
we-really-do-live-in-open-space, sort of invitation to create a set of
stories.  since i've already posted the story here, i'll not repeat
it... visit http://www.globalchicago.net/evolution/11grandma.html if you
want another look at it... but here is the invitation i sent out
today...  sorry for the repeat postings to some of you.  please join in
as is easy and feels good to you.   many thanks, michael

----

dear friends and colleagues,

as you know, i use email for business.  what follows, however, is a
personal story, a grandma story.  and still, it guides much of my work.
it is a story of leading and following, tension and transformation,
aaaahhhhhhh... and ah, ha!

i am writing to share it with you and to ask you to consider sharing a
story or two of your own.  many people have read and deeply appreciated
this story, but i'm not the only one with stories like this.  i'd like
to collect a bunch of these -- stories that help us remember who we are
and how we want to work -- and share them all more widely, together.

if you find that my story moves you to write, or reminds you of
something you've already written, please send it along.  there are any
number of threads running through this story of mine and you are welcome

to follow any and all that you find here, from as simple as 'grandma' to

as subtle as 'aaaaahhhhh.'

i'm hoping to share all of what i receive in the online notebook at
<http://www.michaelherman.com> and perhaps other places. there's really
no telling where this might lead us.  and this condition of not really
knowing, as you will see, is where this all started anyway...

so, thank you for hearing me out thus far.  i hope you'll enjoy the
story and will send along anything of your own that you'd be willing to
share.  feel free to pass this along to others, if you like.  and if
i've missed the mark with this message, please just click delete.

best for now, michael

--

Michael Herman
300 West North Avenue #1105