OS and AI

Ingrid Olausson ingrid.olausson at telia.com
Sun Apr 29 08:28:50 PDT 2001

Jeff wrote:
In my experience as participant in many OST events, I sometimes find the
conversations frustrating and disappointing, and I long for a process such
as "Dialogue" to help focus our attention in ways that might deepen the
level of the conversation. I either suggest (or model) the process halfway
thru, or use my two feet -- maybe the group does better after I depart ;-)

A key to a good conversation is a checking-in-procedure. I use that in many contexts, also in Open Space. But I just do mention it as a piece of advice, not as a rule or a principle.
I suggest that at the beginning of every session people go round the circle and introduce themselves: Names and (if it is appropriate to them) what they are working with. And - most important - why they choose the issue in wich they participate. This is, as I see it, not facilitation and not controlling: I never check if they follow my advice or not. But I can observe that many groups do, and I often get positive feedback when they have done it.
Ingrid

Ingrid Olausson, Alsnögatan 28
S-116 41 Stockholm, Sweden
Tel: +46 8 702 01 94