Have no idea what should I do....

Michael M Pannwitz mmpanne at snafu.de
Sun Apr 1 14:54:56 PDT 2001

Dear Laura,
what a challenge!
>From where I sit on a spring evening in Berlin I see several
possibilities:
1. Maybe it was not the right time for your event. In that case,
postpone it.
2. Maybe it was not a good idea in the first place, just forget it.
3. Maybe it is the right time and also a good idea and you and a few
others are the only people competent to deal with it: then go ahead
but pay attention to when it is over (maybe after three days but
perhaps after 3 hours)
4. Maybe it was a good idea but not the right time and not well
organized (the fact that you went around seeing a lot of folks is no
guarantee for good organisation) but the people coming are willing to
become a planning committee for an open space at a future date: then
have a planning session in open space.

>From far off and without knowing much of what this os is all about,
here something from my experience: the more closely the group
planning an open space event (a group put together by the
sponsor....who is the sponsor here?) resembles the mix you attempt to
have at the event the more likely you will have the diversity that
you desire and that might be necessary for the event to be rich and
productive.

My heart goes out to you....and say hi to the colleague you are
expecting from Hungary!
love
michael

On Sun, 1 Apr 2001 05:16:57 +0200, Laura Gamboa Herrera wrote:

>Well as you know, I am organizing my first Open Space Conference here in Costa
>Rica, for organizations from the four sectors (public, civil, private and
>academic).  I have invested like three months visiting sites, attending to
>meeting, organizing the whole thing. Actually a member of our organization is
>coming form Hungary, in order to help me with the conference.
>And although I sent around 250 invitations (a lot of them more than two times:
>fax and e mail)........so far I only have 6 participants confirmed. The
>conference is going to be next week, starting on Wednesday, and its a three
>days event. And at this point I have no idea if I should canceled or what. I am
>still waiting to some people that told me that they will let me know if they
>will attend or not, on Monday morning........but I think it can be from no one,
>to 5 maximum.
>What I can say is that:
>-  I feel terrible because my friend is arriving tomorrow, and I have no face
>to tell him that I will cancel
>-  If I do it, what if the participants think that it was not as they expected,
>cause for sure they were expecting more people
>- and I really dont know if only 6 people, it is worth it for three day event.
>That starts Wednesday at 3 pm, and finish Friday at 3 pm. Actually the media
>was invited at the end of the event.
>
>If anybody has a recommendation.........I will appreciate it!
>
>Greetings and thanks,
>
>Laura
>

>Laura Gamboa Herrera
>Phone:  (506) 226-3184
>Fax: 001-603-761-7394
>P.O. Box 57-1011
>San José, Costa Rica
>
>*
>*
>2.  Sign in and Proceed

Michael M Pannwitz
Draisweg 1
12209 Berlin, Germany
FON +49 - 30-772 8000     FAX +49 - 30-773 92 464
www.michaelMpannwitz.de

To subscribe to the oslist, send the following message (and nothing but the message):
"SUBSCRIBE OSLIST" to listserv at listserv.boisestate.edu
SUBJECT field should be left BLANK