Have no idea what should I do....

Michelle Cooper coopgrp at interlynx.net
Sun Apr 1 17:37:36 PDT 2001

Laura;
I can hear your disappointment. The only thing that comes to mind is
"Whoever comes are the right people". As Jeff said, I suspect the six to ten
people who do attend will be happy to have the time to discuss the issues
that are important and then decide "when it is over". What does your
intuition say to do?

We had an opposite problem at a conference that I was chair of recently.
After two years of discussion, the organizing committeed decided to offer an
"open space technology" event as an alternative to concurrent sessions. 80
people registered for the 60 spots that we felt the room would accommodate.
We left confirmation of attendance until the last minute. We tried to set up
the room for more, but it was disasterous. Although my gut said "It will
take care of itself" my head took over and we announced that we could only
accommodate the 60 people who were confirmed at the event. BIG MISTAKE. As
it ended up, only 40 people showed up (my friend can't go, so I am not
going), many people expressed discontent that they could not come when
indeed there was room etc., etc., etc.,  Lots of learning for me which I
will share at a later time, but mostly about how my ego got tied up in
making sure it was the best possible event for the participants. This led to
me making decisions that were not consistent with the spirit and principles
of OST. Blinding flashes of the obvious perhaps, to quote someone we all
know well, but not so easy when you are in the "sponsor" seat and
accountable to other people. So, what does this have to do with your
event?....listen to what your heart and not your head says is the right
thing to do and your decision will be the right one.

Good luck Laura, my thoughts are with you.
Michelle
-