close the OS?

Lisa Heft lisaheft at pacbell.net
Fri Apr 20 14:41:11 PDT 2001

Hello, György --

I am so very proud of you.

Your OS will be marvelous, I know it.

It seems as if you have a good amount of time for a short
but complete OS from 9:30-15:00.  You will just have to
decide if convergence in the form of

- a closing circle (each person comments or if there are too
many people, a sampling of people comment by coming to the
center one at a time during the last hour, for example)

- coming together to 'vote' on a few top issues and then
reconvening in -- let us say -- five groups (the five top
issues) to write up next steps and people who will take
responsibility for each -- then a coming back together in a
circle for sharing

- other ways for participants to share what they bring back
out with them into the world, what personal commitment they
make to themselves, or other thoughts reflecting on their
time together

We can share many ideas with you regarding convergence.  And
it depends upon whether your participants need to walk out
of there with next steps or whether the coming together of
itself is what they wanted and perhaps they'll just want to
share feelings at the end.

I know that my colleagues will share their thoughts on
timing in messages soon to come.  Remember if there is food
for lunch that you will want it to be out before the latest
morning session ends and to stay out for a time after the
afternoon session begins.  People will want to sit and eat,
but some other people will want to work through lunch and
will want to pick up a quick snack before they jump into the
afternoon session.

I have also learned to make beverages available at all times
throughout the day, if possible (I do not know what your
resources are).  We talk and talk all throughout the day and
that is very thirsty business.

What are your thoughts about latecomers, colleagues? Part of
me feels the facilitator has the mobility to greet them and
let them know how it works whenever they walk in the door.
The other part of me knows they will be taken care of by the
self-organization of the group.

What will your theme, your question be for the day?  What
issue, perhaps, would the alumni like to work on, given all
those great minds and energy in the same room for one
fabulous day?

Last thought: try to make sure that the Open Space is its
own complete event.  In other words, the cultural program is
not part of the OS, but instead the OS comes to completion
before you move on to the next group activity.

These are just a few stray thoughts.  I eagerly await and
learn from the messages soon to come from my colleagues.

Lisa

Lisa Heft
Berkeley, California, USA