close the OS?

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Fri Apr 20 20:20:52 PDT 2001

Gyuri--

What a great project!  One of my clients, a private career-counseling school,
held an Open Space about a year ago with their alumni, and were very excited
about some of the ideas that came out of that event.

I would not worry too much about latecomers, but leave the door open to them.
 I think I would make larger-than-usual signs to mark where the groups were
meeting, maybe a chart showing what university rooms were being used for
sessions, and would make a big sign, "Sessions," on the wall, as "Bulletin
Board" might not be obvious to someone who had not heard the introduction.  I
think someone will turn out to be in the space to help someone who is
confused, or you, as facilitator, could hang around for that reason.

I concur with Lisa's idea that the Open Space be formally closed, before the
group goes on to other activities.  A closing circle, with participants
speaking of their feelings, for sure.  Whether some priortizing of ideas is
needed will depend partly on the theme and opening question for your OS.  I
like your thought of leaving the posters on the wall through the evening, and
having blank pages for additional comments or signing up for ongoing work on
some topic.

I liked Lisa's suggestions about lunch and beverages also.  I think I would
try both to make lunch available over a period of time, and also to have
beverages and perhaps some fruit and cheese on the table from lunchtime on.

What excites me about this is that you will be bringing alumni together on
the basis of their current interests and passions, rather than encouraging
them to stay in the groups that they were close to in their student days.
This is a real way to bring old relationships into the present, and I think
it will generate a lot of energy.

The questions you ask tell me you have given this a lot of thought.  I think
your instincts are good--just do it and enjoy it!

Joelle Everett
813 E Leeds Drive
Shelton, WA 98584
jleshelton at aol.com