things are hoppin'

Jim Clark jimbo at wfc.com.tw
Mon Sep 11 00:10:27 PDT 2000

I just finished another OS meeting, this time with the Department Heads of our
company in Japan.

If you ever want to know if OS works in Japan, based on my experience, IT DOES.

As I finished the opening, I made the invitation to put up topics.  Based on
their demeanor, I had thought there might be some time of hesitation.  WRONG.
Within secconds of the invitation, 6 had jumped up, and within 5 minutes, more
than half of the group had put up topics, and I had to get out the post its for
more break out sessions.  Always a good problem to have.

As they went through the process, a number of the sessions were combined
(naturally) and they had deep and meaningful discussions throughout the morning
(we only had half a day of OS).

I have trained up a Japanese Colleague to be able to run Open Space meetings,
and he already has two requests from our sales managers to run OS meetings with
their teams on how to improve their sales volume.

While in Japan, our Taiwan office finally found a new building to move to (we
have been busting at the seams of the place we are in now).  The down side is
that is in a part of town that is being developed so transportation and food is
still a bit tough.  The CFO came to me and suggested that we do a couple of OS
meetings to get the feedback of the staff on how to make this move as
effectively as possible.

It is very rewarding to see that the Sr. Management of the company is coming to
us to ask for these kind of meetings instead of me being the one that is
suggesting it.

FYI, the first OS meeting we had in this company was February of this year.
Since that time we have had over 20 OS Events with all of the Senior managers
from all four countries we are active in (Taiwan, Hong Kong, Japan and USA)
attend and be "surprised."

Until recently I never put up the "Prepare to be surprised" poster Harrison
suggests in the manual.  It seemed a bit "cocky" to me.

But now, I am the one being surprised, so I think I'll add it to the wall, just
to remind myself to buckly up.

With love from Afar,

Jimbo