detachment

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Mon Nov 6 22:38:13 PST 2000

In a message dated 11/6/00 1:29:15 AM, birgitt at mindspring.com writes:

<< I was wondering what your thoughts were on this. If the four principles are

about detachment or "letting go", does any of the rest of Open Space

Technology fill in the other three directions of the Medicine Wheel of

north, east, south? What goes with "show up and be present"? What goes with

"tell the truth without blame or judgement"? What goes with "follow what has

heart and meaning?"

Birgitte--

Here is my take on the questions you raise:  The facilitator, at the very
least, shows up with a commitment to be fully present.  That presence, and
the invitation/theme encourage participants to come to the meeting and to be
present.

I don't know exactly what part of OST encourages telling the truth without
blame or judgment, but I observe that truth-telling happens more often, and
in more depth, in Open Space than it does in other types of meetings I have
experienced.

The whole exercise of the Market Place is about "follow what has heart and
meaning," from the convening of sessions around the convenor's passion to
participant's choice of sessions to using the "Law of Two Feet" when a
session no longer holds a vital meaning for the participant.

I'm sure there are other layers of meaning here as well, but this is my quick
take on where some typical activities might fall on the Medicine Wheel.

Joelle