detachment

Birgitt Williams birgitt at mindspring.com
Mon Nov 6 01:55:46 PST 2000

Dear friends and colleagues in Open Space,
When we work with Open Space Technology we strive to be unattached to
outcome. A wonderful teacher, Angeles Arrien, has advised that cross
culturally, we know that if we can't laugh about our situation, that we are
attached to outcome. She asks the question "in what areas of your life do
you find you cannot laugh?" "Examine these and see if this means you are
attached to outcome." It is a good diagnostic tool.

I recently reread Angeles book The Four Fold Way. In it she notes that
Harrison Owen is one of the best teachers of detachment. In the Four Fold
Way, there are four immutable laws of Spirit. In the north, "show up and be
present", in the east "tell the truth without blame or judgement", in the
south "follow what has heart and meaning", and in the west, "let it
go--detach from outcome, be open to outcome". She places the four principles
of Open Space Technology in the west, placing them as principles of
detachment, placing them as excellent guides to learn the art of letting go,
of detachment.

I was wondering what your thoughts were on this. If the four principles are
about detachment or "letting go", does any of the rest of Open Space
Technology fill in the other three directions of the Medicine Wheel of
north, east, south? What goes with "show up and be present"? What goes with
"tell the truth without blame or judgement"? What goes with "follow what has
heart and meaning?"

I have done a lot of reseach on the Medicine Wheel (or healing circle) and
how it is used cross culturally. I would like to sort out for myself that
Open Space Technology also really creates the healing circle and I find this
framework to be a useful one to play with.

Thanks for any input.

Birgitt

Birgitt Williams of Dalar International
For your ongoing professional development join us in Sweden or in North
Carolina, USA in November for the Advanced Program in Open Space Technology
focusing on the Open Space Organization! This is also credited as Session
Four of our Genuine Contact Program.

Upcoming training dates for the four basic components of our Genuine Contact
Program (more info www.openspacetechnology.com)
#1: Open Space Technology: Sweden Nov 12-15; Ontario Nov 21-24
#2: Process Facilitation: North Carolina Mar 5,6; British Columbia Mar 18,
19; Ontario April 23,24
#3: Cross Cultural Conflict Resolution: North Carolina Mar 7,8; British
Columbia Mar 16,17; Ontario April 19,20
#4: Advanced Program in Open Space Technology focusing on the Open Space