The particaption of youth in Open Space

Michael M Pannwitz mmpanne at snafu.de
Tue May 23 06:48:12 PDT 2000

Dear Andrew,
I think I would encourage the sponsor to address his concern in his
opening remarks rather than making sure myself as the facilitator
"that the voice of the young are heard". (As if a facilitator could
actually do that).
It is perhaps a little late to ask the sponsor what he has done to
invite more than just 2 or 3 young people. On the other hand my
experience is that the number in itself does not really matter. A
couple of years ago we had an open space with 260 people in Berlin
(cooperation among everyone involved with school), lots of
administrators, school principals, teachers, psychologists a few
parents and 2 young people (12 and 16 years old). Those two posted an
issue each and the 12 year old convened a group.
Nobody had paid particular attention to them in the introduction.
I also recall the wisdom that a sure fire way to blow open space is
to attempt to control it.
So go with your intention to open the space as you always do and wait
to be surprised.
With younger youths (elementary school age) I have done an open space
just with them a few weeks before the space they were invited to
where teachers, parents etc. attended. That was a lot of fun but
afterwards I asked myself whether that really had to be. The grade
school kids delved into open space as if this is what they always had
operated in.
Good luck
michael

On Tue, 23 May 2000 17:28:10 +1000, Andrew Donovan wrote:

>Dear Friends
>
>I have a one day open space this Friday in Canberra (Australia's capital)
>for our leading adult literacy organisation. The 50 or so people attending
>are policy makers from various fields. The focus is on literacy and young
>people. Several young people will be attending (say 2-3).
>
>A member of the leadership team hosting the open space is very concerned
>that the process/the facilitator ensure that the voice of the young people
>is heard. While perhaps making some welcoming comments in my introduction,
>I don't intent to single them out or really do anything further than I
>would normally in opening the space. But, I am open to the wisdom of the
>list.  I think it's a relevant concern that a group of 40 powerful adults
>could intimidate 3 young people (their small numbers  are a problem in
>itself), even though that is not their intention.
>
>How would other people respond to these concerns, have you done anything
>differently to include young people in a largely adult group? Many thanks
>
>warm wishes
>
>andrew
>

>Andrew Donovan
>tel +61 3 9416 3021
>fax +61 3 9416 2935
>PO Box 1705
>Collingwood  VIC  3066
>Australia

Michael M Pannwitz
Draisweg 1
12209 Berlin, Germany
FON +49 - 30-772 8000     FAX +49 - 30-773 92 464
www.michaelMpannwitz.de

To subscribe to the oslist, send the following message (and nothing but the message):
"SUBSCRIBE OSLIST" to listserv at listserv.boisestate.edu
SUBJECT field should be left BLANK