The particaption of youth in Open Space

Michael Herman mherman at globalchicago.net
Tue May 23 07:17:59 PDT 2000

hello andrew,

i'm with ric, with some clarification...  they will speak
out, IF the question is something they think is important
AND if they think that they are really there to be full
participants.  check the circumstances of their coming,
self-selection, understanding and connection to the issues,
opportunities to stay connected to whatever work follows,
what do they feel is their responsibility/capability for
addressing this question.

we had the three racine wisc youth leaders (referenced in
something i posted a few days ago) and some 20 others in for
the all-day open space day of the training here with
harrison.  they were active participants but didn't post any
topics.  in another situation, two student council
presidents were on the planning committee for a high school
district open space event and they participated like
everyone else, in the planning and in the event (which also
had other students attend, participate fully, post topics,
etc.).

so, i think you're right not to single them out publicly at
the opening but it might be worth checking in with them
individually, casually, before the event or as people are
gathering, to see where they think they really fit into this
event.  whether they post any topics or not, it seems the
adults that do manage to find them and hear their voices are
always amazed, delighted, challenged, grateful for what they
learn... and always seem to comment on that in the closing
and elsewhere.

best of luck with it, michael

--

Michael Herman
...inviting results in evolving organizations

Michael Herman Associates
300 West North Avenue #1105
Chicago IL 60610
312-280-7838 voice/fax