OS in community planning?

Don Ferretti dferrett at placer.ca.gov
Fri May 19 11:07:25 PDT 2000

Jeff,

Thanks for posting this question. I posted a similar question and got two responses (one from Harrison). I will be tracking along with the responses you receive. In the next few months I will be responsible for convening two "public review" meetings so that people (English & Spanish speakers) can give input to our county draft plan for the use of Proposition 10 funds for early childhood development. I believe that OS can be used authentically for this but I'm just not exactly sure how to go about it yet. What intrigues me most is not the possibility of getting creative recommendations from people on then plan, it's the possibility that people will go beyond that and do some things that don't need to wait for a formal plan.

Don

>>> Jeff Aitken <ja at svn.net> 05/19/00 10:12AM >>>
Greetings. I'm writing to ask if any of you have stories or insights about
using OS as a way for citizens to participate in creating or revising the
General Plan of a city, town, county, or other such entity.

I know that public participation in community planning is widespread - tho
I suspect that it's often questions and answers from the floor to a panel
of experts in a two hour evening meeting.  My hunch is that using OS is a
qualitative leap.

Many thanks
Jeff

-