Open Space 2000: An Operating System

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Wed Mar 22 12:17:58 PST 2000

At 06:35 PM 3/20/00 +1000, you wrote:
>Dear Friends
>
>At a recent lunch with an OS colleague (with suitable liquid encoragement -
>perhaps a little more than two martinis!) I described OS as an operating
>system (like Microsoft Windows 98) in contrast to other useful techniques
>(eg De Bono, scenario planning and the like) as high powered, focused
>applications (like MS Word).
************************************
Given the crashing nature of win98 -- I am a little nervous with the analog.
But the idea is a good one. Certainly folks have used all sorts of
"interventions and processes (i&p)" in Open Space, but there is a worry and a
caution. Some of these i&ps seem to close space down. I guess the real point is
that you can do whatever you want, just don't infringe on the space of others.
So any time I hear somebody saying, "Let's all do ______" I get quite nervous.
Unless of course everybody really wants to do it. And then who am I to stand in
their way. Good thinking!

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive