Open Space 2000: An Operating System

Andrew Donovan adonovan at mpx.com.au
Mon Mar 20 00:35:20 PST 2000

Dear Friends

At a recent lunch with an OS colleague (with suitable liquid encoragement -
perhaps a little more than two martinis!) I described OS as an operating
system (like Microsoft Windows 98) in contrast to other useful techniques
(eg De Bono, scenario planning and the like) as high powered, focused
applications (like MS Word).

It seemed a useful analogy when reflecting on my experience of a challenge
to OS from followers of other techniques during the OS process.

To me OS is like the platform for the workings of the group. The way the
group deals with each issue before it will vary according to the bent and
skills of the particapnts. And at times the bent and skill may involve
introducing a specific purpose application eg lateral thinking processes.
But as an application it is only part of the picture, the Operating system
is what links this to other parts of the picture. Another collegaue for
example (with strong experince in both OS and de bono) said de bono can
build great ideas but it doesnt build the connectivity between people in
the way OS does.

Any thought 'operating system/application' as an analogy?

Warm regards

Andrew

Andrew Donovan
tel +61 3 9416 3021