Triangles, circles and power

rnorris at digital.net rnorris at digital.net
Fri Mar 17 20:02:26 PST 2000

Peg,

I believe the circles and triangles are a simple and very effective "visual
metaphor".  They provide a gateway for reflection on the essence of the
issue: power and control.

I also believe it is wonderful to connect the right and left brain worlds
through simple and effective visuals....alot of recent discussions on the
listserve around talking sticks and medicine wheels amplify "visual
metaphors".

My experience is that in an organization that has a triangular shape, the
metaphors are viewed quite diffently depending on your placement in or on
the triangle.  In less pointed organizations the metaphors are viewed more
similarily regardless of ones location.

Great food for thought Peg, Thanks !

Rich Norris

At 10:32 AM 3/17/00 -0800, you wrote:
>>The cascade (i.e., the triangle you drew with senior managers, middle
>managers, staff) strategy can work; I have successfully used it.  In fact,
>until about 5-8 years ago, I would have said it was the best known way to
>achieve change across an organization.  What has happened in the past 5-8
>years is an understanding of new ways of changing organizations that are
>faster, cheaper, and have a greater chance of success.  These approaches are
>based upon high participation.
>
>If the cascade is characterized by the triangle, high participation is
>characterized by a circle.  The visual image is useful because it speaks to
>"the catch" in high participation change.  The circle has no point where
>everything comes together.  It starts with and builds a very different set
>of beliefs about power and control in organizations.
>

>Peg Holman

Richard Norris
(407)779-0531
<rnorris at digital.net>