A Story from OZ

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Fri Mar 31 04:22:34 PST 2000

The OSI-OZ Newsletter came out recently (and the wizard in this case is Brian
Bainbridge) with the following story. I hope they won't mind me passing it
along here.

NigelRawlins <nrawlins at netspace.net.au>

I ran a half day workshop with blue collar metal workers. Half day on “Dying
for customer and company"
The manager was worried about health and safety. However once it started there
were a number of issues that
came up but the most important one was about cutting the metal and storing the
offcut and where they could find it next time they needed it.
As they say in Open Space Technology, be prepared to be surprised.

This decision probably saved them over 100K over the year. Solved because they
had the opportunity to raise an issue of concern to themselves and solve it
their way. Mind you they had a manual saying how they should do it.
These were pretty tough guys with low education but they excelled using this
process and then went on to tell visiting US consultants and senior managers
that this was the best day's training they had ever been involved in. They
learned, as many do in OS, that if something has to be done they have to take
the responsibility to make it happen.

With Thanks to Nigel !

Harrison

Harrison Owen