open space and open space technology - a difference

Florian Fischer florianfischer at ff-wey.com
Tue Mar 14 02:47:32 PST 2000

Birgitt Williams schrieb:

>   The distinction in my own mind between Open Space and Open Space
> Technology is important.

dear birgitt,

your pointing out that distinction between open space and
open space technology  is an important idea
as well as your idea about closing the open space
to manage a situation of space invading.
that both seems to me two aspects of the same idea.

to understand you in the right way, let me ask
about opening and closing space:

within open space technology there is a space holder
who opens the space at the beginning, who holds the space,
who protects the space and who may close the space
at the end or in defending the space against invasion  ??

within the general open space
there is no opening and no closing
because it is once opended at the beginning for ever.
it is the now and the eternity in itself
it is the individual and the universe in itself ??

the distinction is very helpfull
because it is as well the distinction
between a facilitator using open space technology
and the creator of open space.

and personally for me, i understand once more the important idea
that the end of a process (the closing) needs the same care
as the beginning.

thank you, birgitt. i like your thorough thoughts.

florian fischer