Large-scale Open Space

Joe Szostak jszostak at fox.nstn.ca
Tue Mar 14 07:18:50 PST 2000

Friends,

I had an opportunity to do a large scale Open Space, up to 800 participants,
within the context of a week long gathering.  This is a non-profit group and
I am volunteering my time.  The event is far larger than anything I've
worked with, and I'd like to draw on your experience in thinking about the
logistics.

The time available for the Open Space is a bit awkward.  One full day and
the next afternoon, actually the next three afternoons if they can be
incorporated. The goal is good discussions around the theme and a book of
proceedings

The physical location is a small college campus with the breakout areas
spread all around.  The room available for bringing the whole group together
is smaller then I would like and we'll be quite packed.

Some of the questions that come up as I think about structuring this event
are:
-The amount of time required for the opening session?  I assume an hour and
a half.  And are any special considerations for a group this size?
-What is a good length of time for the sessions to allow some participants
time to get across campus?  I assume an hour and a half.
-How to work with the afternoons following the full day?  Whether not to try
gathering the full group on those days and have people go directly to their
sessions, allowing perhaps two time slots in the afternoons.   The gather
the full group for the closing of the OS.  Or, to gather the full group for
opening and closing each afternoon and have only one session.  Or to just
work within one full day and one afternoon for the open space and then make
space available for groups who want to continue to meet on subsequent days.
-It may be possible to open the space the evening before the full day, but
no time for sessions that evening.  Is this advisable?  It does have the
advantage of allowing more time on the full day for discussions.
-And then I suspect there are other considerations I haven't even thought
of.

I'd be grateful for any comments, stories, advise regarding large scale Open
Space events.

Joe Szostak