open space and open space technology - a difference

Birgitt Williams birgitt at mindspring.com
Mon Mar 13 19:41:44 PST 2000

Dear friends,

Recent conversations have been rich and diverse. High learning and high
play. Caused me to do a lot of thinking about my beliefs and what the
essential ingredients for me are regarding Open Space Technology. And that
took me down a path of thought that feels important to share. I have
recently been reading some excellent texts concerning Buddhism (thanks to
Joe Szostak in Halifax for the first book, "Start Where You Are"). This
book, as other books, speaks a great deal about Open Space. The importance
of Open Space. And in Open Space, enabling self to be present in in the
moment. And all of the other wonderful things that we experience in an Open
Space Technology meeting. And of Open Space as a way of living.

Now, this has me thinking that on this list, we may not differentiate
between this Open Space of life, and Open Space Technology. I feel that the
differentiation is critical. Harrison Owen created Open Space Technology.
Seems to me that God invented Open Space. And, in the Open Space that God
created, it is fine to be hugely different in our practices, our fun (nerf
balls), our personal growth and the right to meet our individual personal
growth needs (whether we be facilitators or not) and to play and grow and
evolve. And then there is this creation of Harrison Owen's (as outlined in
Open Space Technology : a user's guide) which some of us like to work with
and use as much as possible in this world of ours. Open Space Technology has
certain ingredients that create the conditions for a meeting. These
ingredients are simple to help each other learn and can be easily duplicated
by facilitators around the world, no matter the skill level, the culture
etc. And, we can have a sense of comfort when we hear that someone has
facilitated an Open Space Technology meeting, that simply knowing that
conjures up images of what likely was structured. Appropriate structure.  It
is not a formula, nor does it dictate one right way. Much like baking a
cake. So long as all of the ingredients are in place, there can be a lot of
variation and still get the same cake. A chocolate cake is a chocolate cake,
tasting different a bit dependent on the day, the oven, the baker.
Forgetting the chocolate or choosing to omit it in order to simplify the
process, creates something that may be good, but it is not a chocolate cake.

I think that when we have rich discussions about the Open Space of life, the
basic philosophy of simplifying things or of adding things like a nerf ball
or dance, it is an individual choice and it represents whatever that
individual might need for personal evolution and growth. And it might be
entertaining or rich for growth. I am think though, that when we speak of
Open Space Technology, that it represents a certain thing as described in
the User's Guide, giving certain ingredients, and through the ingredients,
ensuring certain standards from facilitator to facilitator.

The distinction in my own mind between Open Space and Open Space Technology
is important.

Birgitt

Birgitt Williams
Make Genuine Contact!
Dalar Associates: organizational
effectiveness consultants

Striving for Success? Ready to exceed
your expectations?

Contact us for consulting services, training,
conference and meeting facilitation,
and keynote speaking.

www.openspacetechnology.com