os with entry level food service staff

David Koehler Nsdmk at aol.com
Wed Jun 14 09:48:31 PDT 2000

Mary Elizabeth,

The question I would have is about passion.  Does anyone, other than your
sister and brother-in-law have any passion for what they do?  I think passion
in this sense is tied to being a stakeholder (maybe even stockholder) in the
business.  In my work, I do a lot with students (as well as with my own
kids), and what I find is that the prevailing question is always, "what's in
it for me."

Just to share a story, a local couple who owned the Kentucky Fried Chicken
franchise ran into the same problem.  What they did, to create more of a
"stake" in what their workers were working for, is to create a scholarship
fund to help pay for school at the local community college (since most of
their employees were students).  Just a thought.

Dave Koehler
Peoria, IL USA