OS Books

Michael M Pannwitz mmpanne at snafu.de
Sun Jul 2 04:27:17 PDT 2000

Dear Gail,
first of all, thanks for your support of OSI-USA  so that they can
continue to donate to help bring os to every nook of the planet.
Here a little detail on how we went about getting a discount:
The Berrett-Koehler publisher has its book distributed via
McGraw-Hill in England. Matthew Keown in England is in charge for
getting books to events, trainings, etc. at a reduced rate. I am not
sure what the regular arrangement is, but in our case it was a
sizeable discount (I purchased 96 books, they come in boxes of 48, I
guess books are sold as used to be rolls or eggs, by the dozen).
Matthew was extremely helpful, supportive and reliable. I think the
information that OSI-USA was also donating towards lowering the cost
of the book helped. He would probably be able to find out what the
best arrangement would be for Taiwan.
There is also a detail on the transport. We took the books on the
plane from Berlin to Moscow, that is Matthew in England had them
shipped to my place in Berlin. This was ok and the customs in Moscow
was not interested in the books and the people in Berlin decided to
not charge us for the extra weight (they are usually very sticky). It
turned out, however, that Matthew from McGraw-Hill would have just as
well shipped them to Moscow which would have eased our trip a lot but
would have expanded the lead time for getting the books there
I am sending a cc to Matthew (hi there, Matthew, hope you are still
there) and will send copies of a couple of his emails directly to you
for background information.
Good luck in Taiwan.
By the way, shouldnt be someone from your part of the planet come to
the OSonOS in Berlin in October? All continents are represented
except Asia...we are now more than a hundred particpants.
michael

On Sun, 2 Jul 2000 16:19:20 +0800, ICA Taiwan wrote:

>Dear colleagues,
>
>Today I was researching a variety of sources for Harrison's "OS Technology,
>A User's Guide", to see how we could make them available for all
>participants in a training program that Jimbo is conducting here in Taiwan
>in September.  And there was the message from Michael and Joe about doing
>the same in Moscow!  We're doing this training now in Taiwan to begin to
>make the "open space" name familiar and to hopefully generate the  energy
>to support a training program next year with Birgitt.
>
>Because I'm so grateful for the  service and care people from the OS
>Institute so generously provide, I'm happy to send a donation so this work
>can continue.
>
>I would also like to ask, who can we talk to to see what it would take to
>get these books for the Taiwan program at a reduced rate?  Jimbo and I will
>both be at a meeting in Denver in early August, via Seattle.  So we could
>cut out the overseas air postage by carrying them back here.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Gail West
>

>Gail West, ICA
>3F, No. 12, Lane 5, Tien Mou West Road
>Taipei, Taiwan
>Tel:  (8862) 2871-3150
>Fax:  (8862) 2871-2870
>
>*
>*
>2.  Sign in and Proceed

Michael M Pannwitz
Draisweg 1
12209 Berlin, Germany
FON +49 - 30-772 8000     FAX +49 - 30-773 92 464
www.michaelMpannwitz.de

To subscribe to the oslist, send the following message (and nothing but the message):
"SUBSCRIBE OSLIST" to listserv at listserv.boisestate.edu
SUBJECT field should be left BLANK