Convergence design

Jeff Aitken ja at svn.net
Fri Jul 28 13:41:41 PDT 2000

I'd like to ask for feedback on the following design for the end of an open
space conference.

This will be a Friday eve, Saturday, and Sunday conference of about 40
people from around the US who are members of creative arts groups. This is
the first full meeting of their loose and growing national network. The
bulletin board and marketplace begin Saturday morning.

On Sunday:

9 am    breakfast together
10 am   morning announcements
11 am   a session of open space
12:30   lunch (can be working lunch)

Now the afternoon design. Times are approximate: but I want to know if they
are realistic in your opinion!

2 pm    read the proceedings (they will have been written on posterboards
during the event.) If we have a time crunch, I will probably ask people to
read them during lunch.

2:30    begin a bulletin board, inviting people to post any follow-up items
for which they have passion/responsibility; and a marketplace.

3       convene short meetings around these items; depending on the
marketplace, we might have 2 or 3 time slots for sessions of ten minutes
max. The question to be answered: Is this item a DO IT, a CLARIFY IT, or an
OPEN SPACE IT? And who wants to be involved, and how will you meet again?

3:30    Convenors of follow-up items will present their items to the whole
group assembled, along with their meeting's judgements about whether the
item is a DO, CLARIFY, or OS. The whole group will then offer feedback -
DO, CLARIFY, or OS? If a convenor thinks it's a DO, but others raise
questions to be answered, it becomes a CLARIFY. If conflict and complexity
becomes apparent, it becomes an "OS".

We will ask if others want to be involved in each follow-up who did not
attend the short meeting. The convenors will take responsibility to convene
any follow-up work, and to draw from any proceedings which may have dealt
with the subject. (Everyone will receive transcripts of the proceedings and
the action items.)

Steering committee members will participate too. The steering committee
will have announced clear "givens" at the beginning of the conference, and
may draw on those at this time.

When we have completed each of the items in this way, we will have some
closure about action items.

4:15    closing circle

5:00    dinner

THANKS FOR YOUR IMPRESSIONS AND SUGGESTIONS. Jeff

2.  Sign in and Proceed