Convergence design

Michael M Pannwitz mmpanne at snafu.de
Fri Jul 28 14:49:43 PDT 2000

Dear Jeff,
some questions:
what is the theme for the event?
where is the "convergence" in your design?
did you consider using just the Saturday for the os-sessions? (that
would give you the night to produce a book of proceedings)
and some observations
there seems to be pressure to come to agreement on DO IT, CLARIFY IT
and OPEN SPACE IT (my experience is that selforganisation at this
point will more clearly and authencially show what people want to do)
a loose and growing national network that possibly meets rarely in
this constellation I would think would benefit more from energy that
some have on something rather than getting consens (your step at
3:30).
Good luck with your design
greetings from Berlin
michael

On Fri, 28 Jul 2000 13:41:41 -0700, Jeff Aitken wrote:

>I'd like to ask for feedback on the following design for the end of an open
>space conference.
>
>This will be a Friday eve, Saturday, and Sunday conference of about 40
>people from around the US who are members of creative arts groups. This is
>the first full meeting of their loose and growing national network. The
>bulletin board and marketplace begin Saturday morning.
>
>On Sunday:
>
>9 am    breakfast together
>10 am   morning announcements
>11 am   a session of open space
>12:30   lunch (can be working lunch)
>
>Now the afternoon design. Times are approximate: but I want to know if they
>are realistic in your opinion!
>
>2 pm    read the proceedings (they will have been written on posterboards
>during the event.) If we have a time crunch, I will probably ask people to
>read them during lunch.
>
>2:30    begin a bulletin board, inviting people to post any follow-up items
>for which they have passion/responsibility; and a marketplace.
>
>3       convene short meetings around these items; depending on the
>marketplace, we might have 2 or 3 time slots for sessions of ten minutes
>max. The question to be answered: Is this item a DO IT, a CLARIFY IT, or an
>OPEN SPACE IT? And who wants to be involved, and how will you meet again?
>
>3:30    Convenors of follow-up items will present their items to the whole
>group assembled, along with their meeting's judgements about whether the
>item is a DO, CLARIFY, or OS. The whole group will then offer feedback -
>DO, CLARIFY, or OS? If a convenor thinks it's a DO, but others raise
>questions to be answered, it becomes a CLARIFY. If conflict and complexity
>becomes apparent, it becomes an "OS".
>
>We will ask if others want to be involved in each follow-up who did not
>attend the short meeting. The convenors will take responsibility to convene
>any follow-up work, and to draw from any proceedings which may have dealt
>with the subject. (Everyone will receive transcripts of the proceedings and
>the action items.)
>
>Steering committee members will participate too. The steering committee
>will have announced clear "givens" at the beginning of the conference, and
>may draw on those at this time.
>
>When we have completed each of the items in this way, we will have some
>closure about action items.
>
>4:15    closing circle
>
>5:00    dinner
>
>THANKS FOR YOUR IMPRESSIONS AND SUGGESTIONS. Jeff
>
>*
>*
>2.  Sign in and Proceed

Michael M Pannwitz
Draisweg 1
12209 Berlin, Germany
FON +49 - 30-772 8000     FAX +49 - 30-773 92 464
www.michaelMpannwitz.de

To subscribe to the oslist, send the following message (and nothing but the message):
"SUBSCRIBE OSLIST" to listserv at listserv.boisestate.edu
SUBJECT field should be left BLANK