Seeking counsel on presenting OS to a group

Donald Horrigan horrigan at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 24 15:32:32 PST 2000

I have been reading the OSLIST for about two months and have really enjoyed
it. Thanks to your all.
I wanted to respond to Peg's request with an "in progress" tail of my OS
work in two middle schools. I am an assistant principal at a 750 student/50+
faculty public middle school in Prince George's County, MD just outside of
Washington DC. Compressed time is a constant reality in school settings. I
have been using OS to run what we are calling our School Environment
Committee meetings. The meetings take place for an hour to an hour and 15
minutes every two weeks. I am trying to conduct the meetings as a continuous
OS meeting. At each meeting we have "breaking news" in the form of reports
from interest groups that were posted at the previous meetings (first 30
minutes). Then we invite attendees to post new items. We spend the remainder
of the time -- usually about 30 minutes of the meeting in discussion of one
or more of the new posts. I then post all breaking news, new posts, etc on
our school email to all community members. We have had 4 meetings over two
months. I believe the structure is "opening space" and seems to be answering
the need for which the School Environment Committee was created. In December
I facilitated a one time 4 hour OS event for the faculty on our declining
state test scores. 35 members of the faculty came on their own time for a
very lively interaction. Simply put, I think we are making genuine progress
with this community using OS in less than ideal time segments.

My other "tail" is about my work with my wife's private pre-k -- 8 school.
Just after Thanksgiving I facilitated a 4 hour OS evening for the 60 members
of their faculty. In four hours they got well into developing 12 topics.
Since then the group conveners have developed their discussions and
distributed them by school email. January 26 we are convening again with
those reports as "breaking news". Our plan is to meet for 2 hours to
prioritize the topics and then develop project statements for the top
priority issues. Will see how it turns out.

Don Horrigan