Hom much planning and preparation time do you find you need?

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Sat Feb 19 04:37:46 PST 2000

At 08:15 PM 2/18/00 -0500, Rich Norris  wrote:

>Interestingly, I too am a musician like Chris and play Blues Harmonica.  I
>greatly value the space shared with other musicians and audiences.  When I
>have a particularly heavy day coming up I always try to find a group to
>play Blues with.  It seems to provide me a superb outlet to "visit with
>self" and charges up my siritual batteries.
******************************
It is always amazing to me how apparently disparate elements of our life make
positive contributions in other areas. Music for Chris and Rich -- and for me
photography. For a number of years I shot professionally, making a little money
and learning a great bunch. Most of my work was "people" often in an
ehtnographic mode -- Africa, SW USA, small town USA etc. It became clear to me
that the difference between a powerful shot, and something just "good" was the
ability (or luck) to catch Spirit on the fly. You literally had to shoot before
something happened, or you would miss it. Raising the probablility of success
required that your turned up all your receptors (vision, smell, intuition etc)
and truly learned to SEE -- not just look. Of course you have to look before
you can see, but looking alone is not sufficient.

In addition to turning the receptors "up" -- it is also useful to be in such a
way that you make minimal impact on the environment -- including the people you
are trying to catch. There is no formula here, but the phrase I used at the
time to explain to anybody who cared what I did was --"Be totally present and
absolutely invisible."  That phrase, of course, slipped over into my song and
dance about Open Space, and most particularly what the facilitator does mostly.
It is a lot about seeing -- quietly.

Harrison
Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive