Hom much planning and preparation time do you find you need?

Richard Norris rnorris at digital.net
Fri Feb 18 17:15:26 PST 2000

Hi folks,

My name is Rich Norris and I have been following the conversations on
planning and preparation on the OSlistserve.  I have not facilitated an
Open Space event yet, but I sense, from the listserve conversations, that I
have had much practice holding the space for others as a routine part of
life (home, work, school etc.).  Never called it "holding space" but always
viewed it simply as authentic leadership. For me the authentic variable
makes leadership "holding space" hard work and completely drains my energy.

Interestingly, I too am a musician like Chris and play Blues Harmonica.  I
greatly value the space shared with other musicians and audiences.  When I
have a particularly heavy day coming up I always try to find a group to
play Blues with.  It seems to provide me a superb outlet to "visit with
self" and charges up my siritual batteries.  At the same time it tunes me
up and sharpens my senses and awareness of collaboration and the dynamics
that evolves from the complexity of interdepency and interrelatedness of
creating music.  I find that when I did not have the opportunity to do this
it felt like I was not wholly prepared for the next day.  The mechanics
were there but the spiritual connection and awareness was not at its
fullest vibrancy.  It was at these times that I felt less than completely
authenitic.  In a nut shell I didn't feel fully present.

I look forward to facilitating an Open Space event for the first time in
the near future.  From my perspaective, the conversations on the listserve
are superb and enlightening.  I am positive they will serve this novice
well. Thank you all for sharing your wisdom and experiences.

Rich Norris

Richard Norris
(407)779-0531
<rnorris at digital.net>