Hom much planning and preparation time do you find you need?

Chris Corrigan corcom at interchange.ubc.ca
Fri Feb 18 01:23:16 PST 2000

Harrison:

I actually got very interested in preparation after being in a workshop
with you a couple of years ago and hearing about your own preparation
rituals.

That started me thinking about things I do before facilitating anything
and especially before an Open Space.  One thing I try to do if at all
possible is to play music with my friends.  I play Irish Traditional
music (jigs and reels) predominately in a session environment.  The
session is a curious space to be in.  Like the rest of life it is
thoroughly infected with the principles of Open Space.  We aim to reach
a tight groove, which means establishing a dissociated and shared
emotional centre for the music and holding it there -- another form of
holding the space.  The reason for the tight groove is that it enables
the musicians to experiement with the music, and introduce small
variations and innovations to the tune.  Irish dance music is a very
conservative and limited canvas, as only very small changes are
permitted, no outright improvisation.  This constriction generally has
the same effect as writing poetry to a predetermined scheme, like the
A,B,C form of the contest we had last fall on this list.

Playing in a session the night efore an OS grounds me very securely in
the operational principles of holding the space.  It's both a practice
session and an outlet, allowing me to unleash expression and creative
variation.  I find this really helps with the opening which tends to be
a variation of my standard form.  All essential preparation.

And that's just one example of something I try to do.  Since the
workshop with Harrison that started my thinking on preparation I have
paid close attention to others who are resoponsible for opening and
holding space.  I look to my partner, who is a tremendous mother and who
opens and holds space daily in our household for both my daughter and
I.  She is predictably exhausted at the end of each day, and she uses
various techniques to reestablish her centre.  Parenting with her is a
constant reminder of how important holding space is in life.  It's good
preparation for doing OS too.

I have done some research into the preparation of National Hockey League
goalies who are renowned for their preparation rituals.  So much rides
on their shoulders that they have to be perfectly prepared before every
game.  And because hockey is as much a game of momentum as anything
else, goalies tend to play an important role in holding the space for
their team.  Teams with great goalies are often said to be able to play
from the net out, in other words, the forwards and defenders can
concentrate on their game without worrying about pucks going in the
net.  Skaters will use terms like "liberating" to describe a game played
in front of great goaltending.  My sister was a very high class goalie,
almost making it to the national women's team, so I have some personal
experience with this area as well.

Finally, I have looked to some of the people I sweat with in traditional
sweat lodge ceremonies.  (Being Irish and Ojibway opens one up to a lot
of cultural experiences!).  People who run sweats are never said to be
"leading" them, unlike a preist or a Minister who "leads" a Church
service.  Instead, people "run" sweats, and you can hardly find a more
pure form of opening and holding the space.  Sweats are spaces that are
opened for tremendous things to occur within, like dealing with
emotional trauma, experiencing extremely visceral spiritual events and
so on.  Anything can happen in a sweat.  I was once in one where a man
passed out and lay unconscious for five minutes.  When he came to he
told us what he had seen, which was that a bear had grabbed him and
taken him out of the sweat lodge and showed him a vision which he then
shared with us.  Ursa Spiritualis as the ultimate space invader!  People
who run sweats have to leave the space open and hold it very carefully
for things like that to happen.

All of this research has made me aware that preparation is critical to
charge myself up in exactly the way that Harrison has described.  I
think that the more you surround yourself in situations where you are
aware that you are holding space, the better prepared you will be.  It
goes to the heart of Ralph's conclusions.  I have found that since I
have been doing OS events on a regular basis it has required me to live
my life in constant awareness of the potential of opened space, and the
critical and sometimes sacred trust that comes with holding it open.

Chris

Harrison wrote:

"All of which raise (for me) a very serious issue. Creating space and
holding space takes a lot out of you. Which means there
must be a lot there to start, it is essential to conserve energy as you
go along, and when its over -- you are going to need a
break. As we all know, this is not about "doing" a whole mess of things.
God forbid -- if we tried to operate in Open Space
with the sorts of behaviors we used to use (taking care of all the
details etc) --- ultimate fatigue would be the best result.  Rigor
mortis is more likely.

Keep napping Chris.

Harrison"

--