Open

Doersam, Laurel Laurel.Doersam at caphealth.org
Tue Dec 5 13:31:18 PST 2000

Children are particularly amenable to spoon-bending.  I've attended Terrie's
workshop several times and have always been fascinated to see that it is
folks who have control issues who are unable to bend.  The first time I bent
cutlery was in a high-energy concert that I attended with Terrie - she
handed me a spoon, whispered in my ear to visualize it bending, to let go of
outcome and just to see what happened - during some thunderous applause, I
felt this very thick, strong hunk of metal warm up, go soft and then easily
bent it into several curlicues - amazing! Prior to that moment, the fork was
soooooo thick and strong that I couldn't even budge one of the tines,
despite several forced attempts!!!  When I arrived home that evening, it
took all of 10 seconds to teach my 13y.o. son - and now I don't have an
intact piece of cutlery in the house!!!!   But the power in bending metal is
in the metaphor - when you think that something in life is too difficult, go
back to the spoon - setting intention, visualizing the desired result
clearly, then letting go.  It works!  (And I find it to be a powerful,
powerful metaphor - like Open Space - and life in general, the power is in
letting go of control.)  Thanks, Terrie, for bringing up this fascinating
discussion.

Laurel.